If a semi truck hits you, you will need to keep some things in mind. Here are five important steps that you will need to take in order to protect yourself in this type of accident:
- Exchange Insurance Information – If you are in an accident with a semi truck, be sure to exchange insurance information right away with the driver of the vehicle.
You will want to turn this into your insurance company as soon as possible. Your insurance information should be in the glove compartment of your vehicle so that you can get to it when you need it. Follow the instructions on reporting a claim. Insurance companies provide this to their customers.
- Witnesses – Hopefully there were other people around that could see what happened with the accident. It is extremely important to get their names, addresses and phone numbers so that they can be contacted if you need to take your case to trial. They will be asked to say what they saw in a court of law.
- Medical Attention – Whether or not you think you might be injured, it is important to get seen at the emergency room. Sometimes injuries don’t present right away, so getting an exam and a scan or x-rays – can help to determine if you just have a few bruises or something more serious. Make sure to keep your medical records and any bills from the doctor and hospital.
- Details – Use a notebook to jot down the details of the accident. You will want to be as descriptive as possible. Do not leave anything out. Be sure to mark the date and time that the incident occurred. Take the notebook with you everywhere that you go, in your purse or brief case and write down anything you remember about the accident. It would be good to take pictures at the scene if it is safe to do so.
- Hire A Lawyer – You will want to get a lawyer as soon as possible. If you have any injuries, you will need the medical documentation to give to the lawyer for your case. Be sure that you find a lawyer that specializes in personal injury and accident laws so that they are experienced with your type of case. They will help determine if there is a case against the semi driver and/or their employer and how to proceed.
Should you find yourself in this kind of situation in the future, be sure that you complete these five important steps so that you are as protected as possible. With a winning case, you will do much better in the future. You may receive quite a bit of money in a lawsuit, and the money will help with any needed medical expenses, therapy, etc.