An oil change is an important part of keeping your car running at an optimal level. There are a number of moving parts within your car’s engine that need to be maintained and lubricated. Over time, oil gets dirty and becomes contaminated with a lot of gunk. If this happens, the moving parts in your engine cannot function properly. Sooner or later, this we lead to engine failure.
How long you can go before needing an oil change depends upon which mechanic or car manufacturer you ask. The standard used to be an oil change every 3,000 miles. But in this day in age with newer, synthetic oils, you can actually go without an oil change much longer. Cars these days are built to last a lot longer, so the worst case scenario is about 12,000 miles. Once you go past that point, you can put your car in serious jeopardy.
There are a number of reasons why you should get regular oil changes for your vehicle. Here are a few:
- Engine lubrication – The parts inside the engine are always in motion when you drive. This creates a great deal of heat. The absence of lubrication can cause the engine to stall.
- Cools eingine components – Clean and sufficient levels of oil will reduce heat and friction. This in turn prevents the engine from overheating.
- Removes engine sludge – The build up of sludge and particles in the engine can severely shorten the lifespan. Periodic oil changes will cut down on the sludge build up.
- Improves gas mileage – Lack of oil or poor lubrication can lead to increased oil consumption. Regular oil changes can increase gas mileage by 1%-2% over a year.
- Improves car’s longevity – Regular car maintenance will make a vehicle last longer. When you don’t take care of you car’s engine, it can lead to more breakdowns down the road.
An automobile is a big investment. You should always utilize proper maintenance to keep it running. Of all the maintenance chores you can have performed on your vehicle, a regular oil change is likely the most important. The process is relatively simple and cheap. Most people maintain busy lifestyles and feel that oil changes are a hassle. They are. But it is a necessary task if you want to keep your car running at an optimal level for a long time.